Monday, June 6, 2011

First Week In Palmdale, CA 5 June 2011




Hey Padres whom I love:

First off, I DID get the package. Secondly THANK YOU!!! I'm super stoked about all the books, the clothes, and the other knick-knacks. I'm excited for you and Dad and your amazing scripture study :) I'm pretty excited to join you both for it and get my mind blown by both of your intelligence. I know it'll happen. It will rock.
Ok. So.


I love Palmdale. People here are great. Yeah it's the desert and it's certainly not as pretty as Santa Clarita, but it reminds me more of CO. Plus they tell me that there are some great hiking spots around here. 


We had a super busy but amazing week. We had a few lessons in which the Spirit was so so strong, it was amazing. We had a lot of opportunities to teach in English, which was strange but way fun. A lot of the Latinos in Palmdale speak English, sometimes better than Spanish, but they still have the culture of being very open and receptive to anything about God.


We got a referral from one of our investigators early on in the week....her daughter has been super busy with school and work and has been very stressed as a result, so her mom said we might be able to help her out. She agreed to meet with us ( a miracle in itself, so her mom says) and we had an awesome lesson about how our trials and experiences in life refine and shape us. She told us that she had been very angry at God and quite bitter, but within the last 2 months or so, something changed. She couldn't place it, but she's wanting to come closer to God and make Him a more integral part of her life. At one point, she said "Man, where were you guys a year ago?" We told her that she may not have been receptive until now, and that we came at just the right time. She completely agreed and she wants to come to church and meet with us more. !!!!!! AAAAHHH!!! I'm so happy!


We had an appointment this week, but the anticipated potential investigator wasn't the one who answered the door. We taught his son-in-law instead and he absolutely loved it. He told us that he is almost never home and that he never answers the door, but he kept feeling something telling him "answer the door, answer the door!" SO cool. I love the Spirit!


Also, the day before I came, they had a baptism of a young mother who lives with her parents and her husband, all of whom are getting more and more interested in the church. We had an almost 3 hour lesson with her parents on Friday in which we taught a super in depth lesson about the Restoration and watched the video. We invited them to read a little bit of the Book of Mormon and pray about it to see if it's true. The father seemed unwilling, so we asked him why. He said " I think......I think I already know what the answer is. And I don't want it." I asked "Because that means you would need to change some things, right?" He nodded. "How about all the blessings that will come to you and your family as a result?" He was silent for a second and said "Now, I hadn't thought about that." Oh my goodness, sir. I'm so so so so so excited to share blessings with them and help them realize how much God has in store for them!!


I've got to run soon, but Dad, I think you should look up the songs "Horchata" and "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" by Vampire Weekend. I do believe you will enjoy greatly.
Love you more than all the all-star investigators we've got!


Hermana Manzana



 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment