Monday, August 8, 2011

Obedience and the Spirit, 8 August 2011


It's been an interesting and cool week and I've learned so so much already. I had had a few weeks where I felt really down and frustrated and helpless. I tried hard not to acknowledge it but how I was feeling was manifesting in missionary work, too. I'm not sure what exactly changed but Wednesday I just threw myself into obeying with exactness (specifically for keeping a more regimented missionary schedule)....maybe more to have something to occupy my mind than anything else, but Wednesday was the best day ever. Not only did we see quite a few big and little miracles, but I just felt happy. So there you have it. Obedience= happiness. Amen, the  Church is true!
 
We had had lunch with a member and were trying to decide whether we should visit a man on one side of town or a woman on the other. We decided to stop by the woman's house first and it JUST SO HAPPENED that her daughter drove up at the same time. She invited us in and we talked for quite a while, even getting to teach her about the Restoration. She felt really really good about all the things we taught and she said, "You know, it's funny how God puts people in your life at just the right time. I was supposed to meet you today." She's AWESOME!! We met with Joel again and it went pretty well. We got to know him a bit better and read the introduction to the Book of Mormon. I really hope he reads this week! I'm learning that one of my favorite things is to have the people we teach really get into reading the scriptures. They really are so cool and SUCH a blessing from Heavenly Father!
 
We hadn't seen Carmen's husband Ric at church for quite a few weeks and we really wanted to see where he's at with reading, praying, gaining a testimony and such. We went over to their house after church yesterday and he was fairly resistant to talking with us but thankfully, Carmen helped us drag him into the other room and we talked for a good 2.5 hours about his concerns, experiences, etc. He's very strong willed and we read the first part of Enos with him about how Enos "wrestled in mighty prayer" with God.He had been reading the war chapters of the book of mormon and was getting frustrated by the lack of spirituality. Pues yeah! You have to read more than just the war chapters or the isaiah chapters, ayou HAVE to pray to get heavenly father's help to understand why the prophets wrote about specific things. We talked a LOT about Heavenly Father's perspective in regards to the scriptures, family, marriage, the role of women in the church, and a ton more super deep doctrinal things. They are a really remarkable family and I feel so so blessed to know them.
 
We also got Nick back!! Nick had dropped us but we had a really great conversation last night and we're going to continue teaching him.
 
Also on Wednesday: We visited two teenage brothers with the plan of dropping them, but we ended up inviting them to be baptized instead, to which they said yes! Whoa. Divine intervention is the BEEEEEEEST!!
Oh PS I ate my first helote this week a la Nacho Libre. Dericious.
 
I got the family newsletter and it brought me SO MUCH JOY!!!! I just keep staring at the pictures, feeling our family's love for one another and basking in the residual glow of family camp. I think my comp thinks I'm crazy. Meh. Totally worth it. THANK you for the pictures. Give Sabrina a HUGE hug from me! I love her little guts!
 
We're putting on a zone talent/variety show this afternoon and I'm gargling primary songs. Pray for me!
 
I love you and pray for each of you every stinkin day!

Hermana Manzana

No comments:

Post a Comment