Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Allison to be a Trainer, August 22, 2011

I'm having a baby!!!!
I'm finally on par with the rest of the non-missionary world...
But really. I'm training a greenie! I'm going to be her mission mom! Actually, she's a friend of Hermana Strong's. Her name is Hermana Prince, she's from Utah, she's a dance major, does triathlons, and Hermana Strong just adores her...This is sounding promising. Hermana Erickson's very sad to go, and I'm going to miss her so so much but I'm excited to work with Hermana Prince! She and all the other new missionaries are arriving Wednesday afternoon, so I'll be with an English sister, Sister Starr till then.


Dang. I'm stoked. Scared out of my mind but so excited!
 Gosh, what else happened this week? Thoughts of training, picking up my baby, figuring out how to get Hermana Erickson  going are occupying most of my brain cells currently...
Oh yeah! We had a musical fireside for the Spanish units in the Stake last night. We had a bunch of choirs made up of primaries, youth, young single adults, and the missionaries as well as individuals perform songs about the Savior and His life. We had a fairly good turnout and Sister Erickson and I sang solos at the beginning of one of the missionary choir songs. Eek! It went well though.


We had quite a few people at church who hadn't come in a while...like Ricardo.. Maybe I haven't told you much about him....He's PHENOMENAL. Seriously. if he became bishop right away, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Back in April he was going to be baptized and he was so so excited, but he isn't actually married to his wife because there were complications with a previous divorce. It's so frustrating because one little typo on a form is keeping him from making promises with God.  Stupid red tape. He hasn't been able to come to church for quite a while because he's working a TON and when he's not working, he's taking care of his wife Leslie whose health is pretty poor at this point. We brought our branch president and the executive secretary over to give them both blessings, and we had an awesome discussion afterward about the Holy Ghost and the purposes thereof. They're SO amazing. Leslie is pretty stubborn, and insists that our beliefs don't really mesh (even though they totally do.) I think that during our discussion, she finally started realizing that our beliefs don't go against hers at all, and that the doctrine that we teach actually expand the truths that she already understands and holds dear. Yes ma'am that's the Gospel of Jesus Christ!


  Rivers and Eduardo got confirmed yesterday and it was so sweet to see these usually bouncy, distracted, "oh-look-a-chicken" type boys sit so reverently, arms folded, eyes closed, completely focused on what was being said when they received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Eduardo even drew a picture of Jesus with children in my planner for me. We taught his grandmother Guadalupe again this week and she's SO wonderful. She wants to be baptized as well, but she feels that she has a lot of bitterness in her heart that she needs to work through before she would feel comfortable doing so. We promised her that if she prayed and read from the scriptures every day and came to church consistently for two weeks, her heart would heal and the Savior would take away that weight she has carried for so long. i love being a missionary!


Also, we took Alexis Cueva to the singles ward and it was SO GREAT! She made a ton of friends, she's going to go to Institute on Wednesday, and she's even going to visit the temple on thursday! I love friendly members.


I've gotta run, but here are some pictures, too. One is yours truly expecting my mission baby (the blanket was a little lumpy) and the other is of my district here in Palmdale.

Love you more than all the great singles' ward members in Antelope Valley!
Hermana B

No comments:

Post a Comment