Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nappy Hew Year! January 3, 2012

Hey Amada Familia!
I can't even begin to express my joy at being back in Spanish (working and teaching in Spanish.) I LOVE NOHO!! (NOHO = North Hollywood) The people, the food, the language, the bike (well....kind of....if it would work I'd love it more)...it's just so great. It was way weird at first to be back without my old district and all the missionaries I associate with this area, but I absolutely adore Hermana Marquez. She was trained by Hermana Waite and Hermana Busch (who was in my district when I was here before) and she's just an incredible missionary. She joined the church about 3 years ago in a Young Single Adult branch  in a Tongan stake near San Francisco. She's a super powerful teacher and I've already learned a lot from her. It was really sad to leave Lancaster (definitely not the place, but the people) but I'm just so glad to be back. It's been fun to have so many members and former investigators do a double-take when we go visit.
They found a spare bike that I had actually ridden at the very beginning of my mission, but it was a lot more well-loved this time around. The gears were kind of loose, so we were told that anytime the chain could slip or break and cause me major problems. Thankfully, Heavenly Father make the bike unrideable before that happened: my tire popped  on the way home from church. My companion was way far ahead but eventually figured out I wasn't behind her anymore. No falls, no nothing, but I happened to stop right next to a nice homeless man who I'm sure would have helped had I wiped out. So anyway, they're looking into buying a new bike for the area, while I borrow a member's super sweet sporty boy bike. Yesssss.
It's been really neat so far to see and feel how much I've grown since I was last here. That has been a really great tender mercy for me and it makes me excited to keep working hard to keep growing.
I love teaching about Christ. It's just the most amazing thing. I love helping people realize how much they are loved. Dad, do you remember when you told me about peoples' near-death experiences instigating a dramatic lifestyle change, largely because of how loved and cherished they felt by someone they encountered? I've shared that a couple of times with people and I've thought a lot about the power of love and charity. I also started reading the new Relief Society manual of the teachings of George Albert Smith. I only perused a couple chapters, but I really liked that his whole....mantra I guess you could say, was all about how kindness opens doors, inspires patience and gratitude, and softens even the hardest of hearts. It's such a positive, loving attitude and I'm excited to put that to work.
We have a baptism this weekend! He's a sweet, soft-spoken man from Mexico named Javier whom they found back in September. He loves the Book of Mormon and has the most wonderful gift of knowing how to apply the principles he reads to his life. We have a lot of other really great investigators that we're very excited to help along. Hermana Marquez and Hermana Busch focused a LOT on contacting new people as potential investigators,and we're going to try hard to keep that pattern going.
 
Thank you for the picture of Ryan and Chelsea and their beautiful family!!  They are all so sweet and I love to think about that day at the temple (when Jared got married - Allison was allowed to be there.) It was so wonderful! It is still such a source of inspiration and motivation for me. I just love our family so much and I'm so grateful to be a part of it.
 
Also, I LOVE Guatemalans. They're so stinkin' cool! Just so's ya know. 
 
Ummmm....I think that's about all from the Missionary front.....
My address is back to being 6835 Laurel Canyon Blvd #408 North Hollywood, CA 91605
Oh and I haven't heard anything about arson...nor have I seen anything....we live in a very little bubble. (The news reported that an arsonist was lighting automobiles on fire at apartment complexes right in North Hollywood; Mom's notations are in italics.)
I love you more than Spanish!
Hermana Manzana

No comments:

Post a Comment