Wednesday, January 19, 2011

MTC Week Two

Hey beautiful Fambly!! Sorry the letter last week was cut a little short, the computer kicks you off when your 30 min runs out, but it is helpful for learning how to manage time better.
As for the backpack question: I'm pretty sure we ordered it--they should be calling you for my address fairly soon. Although you may just want to have them send it to the mission home. hmmm. The shoes haven't arrived yet, but mail's been kinda spotty these last couple days, so I might even get it tonight. Fingers crossed!!
Also, what's Dad's cell number? I'll be flying out of Salt Lake around 11:00 on Wed the 26th (holy canoli!!) and I get to call home from the airport. So keep your cell phone on you around 10. Did he have fun in Italy? I'm so excited to hear about his trip!
I can only respond to letters on Tuesdays, but I can receive mail any day of the week *cough cough*. But seriously. it's like Christmas. and is a gift from heaven.(Editor's note: you may write to Allison any day at: www.DearElder.com and address it to Hermana Allison Clare MorningSkye Beauchamp. They print out the letters and deliver them the same day.) Thank you for your little updates this week. Tell Lauren to write too. I miss her pretty face so much. Also, will you send me Jared's mailing address? I wrote a letter to him, but forgot that I don't have his address. whoops.
Ok so the main amazing thing that happened this week was that Elder Holland came and spoke at a Tuesday night devotional. Oh my gosh it was incredible! I love when he speaks because it feels like he reaches in, grabs my soul, and shakes it awake. ("Awake my soul, no longer droop in sin...".. awesome) He mainly spoke about how blessed we as missionaries are to have "Preach My Gospel" and how that entire curriculum is centered around personalizing the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for everyone who hears it, but how it will take so much more of us to really work with the Spirit to know what each person we talk to will need and be receptive to. He said "You have to be a thousand times better missionaries than I ever was." Whoa. better than Elder Holland?
Anyway, one of my absolute favorite parts was when he related the story of Peter after Christ had been crucified and resurrected, although in a bit plainer language and applied it to us as missionaries and what we are to do after our missions.
So after Christ was resurrected, Peter wasn't quite sure what to do with himself. He had certainly loved Christ and served Him as well as he could, but now that He was gone, Peter just figured he would go back to doing what he had always done....fishing. They'd been fishing all night and hadn't caught anything and were very frustrated when they saw a figure on the shore who called out to them and told them to cast their nets on the other side. When they did so, their nets nearly broke with the weight of all the fish they had brought in. Peter recognized the Savior right away and went to go be with Him. The Savior asked him, "Peter, do you love me?" and Peter answered, "of course I do" to which the Lord responded, "Feed my sheep". Peter wasn't getting the message so Christ asked him again "Do you love me?" and Peter said again "yes, you know I do"....but he still didn't understand so Christ asked him a third time "Do you love me more than anything else?"( and Elder holland said, and ya know peter was very sensitive about threes by this time") and Peter said "I do. More than anything." Then Elder Holland with his pulpit-pounding, earth shaking voice told us what the Lord wants us to know. " When I asked you to leave your fish, your nets, your boat, it was forever." He said, you cannot be what you have to be unless you love Him. Your call is to feed His sheep forever. you cannot go back to how things were because you are now a missionary of Jesus Christ. and if you do, you will break my heart and you will break the heart of the Savior. If you are ever tempted to walk away from your covenants, remember, you've left your nets. You are going to feed His sheep forever. Because you love Him"
I really don't know if I can do it justice, but just imagine that it was Elder Holland driving that message into your heads. lovingly, of course, but with the power of God in his voice. Amazing.
We have another fireside tonight and I hear it'll be another somebody from among the general authorities of the church.
I'm almost out of time, but I love you so so so smuch. Please remember the Savior this week. He's been helping me every moment of the day and I'm so grateful I can feel it.
I love you I love you more than all the missionary nametags at the MTC!! Be good!
Hermana B

No comments:

Post a Comment