Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Reply to "Howdy from Texas"

Dear Fambly,
 
I'm so glad you've been having so much fun in Austin. It's true that traveling is one of the best passtimes ever but is it exhausting. I guess we are creatures of habit. Please say hello to the Dragon Blaster and tell it that I will see it again someday...
 
So emotions are still pretty up and down, but I talked to President the other day and he told me to MAKE SURE that I'm keeping myself physically and emotionally healthy. He said that if I think of something that would help me stay sane but is outside of white handbook guidelines, to let him know. And then, by golly, it won't BE outside white handbook guidelines because mission presidents can adjust those as he sees fit! Saturday morning was especially rough..... it felt like Satan was throwing everything in his stupid arsenal to bring me down and just want to stay inside all day. But I figured that if he was working that hard, there must be something super important we needed to do...someone we needed to see. I had a "potty prayer" as Hna Prince terms it, begged for grace and hope, then we went out to work. We met a man named Francisco who was working on a house not too far from our apartment. We asked a couple of questions to get their view of religion, God, etc. Their answers were the usual vague, all-encompassing, zero-demand for personal development ones... "As long as you're being good, God's happy" "God's everywhere. Wherever people talk about Him, He's there." "Just be good to people" "I'm kinda busy for church, but God knows me, I'm not hurting anyone, so I'm ok"
We asked Francisco if he thought that it mattered to God where you go to church, and he said no. Usually, I try to gently nudge people in the right direction by bringing up different doctrines and how you can't please one without offending the other, so which one's right? But I was fairly short on patience, so I just said "It DOES matter. We are His representatives and we're here to tell you that He has a plan for you. He wants you to be happy. He established HIS church to bless you and your family." I actually didn't notice it at the time, but Hna Quick told me later that he started to cry at that point. We left him with a card and the address of the church closest to his house. Later on, we had a blitz in the elders' area. We picked a street but got sidetracked and decided to knock an apartment complex on an adjacent street. The normally-locked gate just swung right open as we walked up to it and we found some really great potential investigators. They all seemed a little hesitant at first but once we prayed with them, they seemed much more comfortable and open. They told us later that someone had been impersonating a Mormon missionary and using that as an "in" to do all kinds of bad things to people in their homes.
I'm a little concerned for what that might mean for us as the legit missionaries....but I'm praying hard that people will use their spidey sense/gut feeling/light of Christ to be able to discern true from false.
 
Tommy is doing REALLY well. He got a job this week and he's determined to get Sundays off so that he can be here. The ward is thrilled to have him and Jeovany preparing to receive the Priesthood. We have a lot of callings to extend, and they'll do GREAT! As for our other investigators, they're being kind of flaky. We're going to search out some more escogidos ("chosen ones") and help them come closer to God. :)
 
I'm doing good and taking this time to learn how to rely more on the Savior. President is helping me a lot and Hna Quick is such an angel. I'm so grateful to be a missionary! I love the scriptures and the guidance they offer. Thank you for your prayers and love!
I love you more than all the lessons our zone taught this week!
Hermana Manzana

No comments:

Post a Comment